Welcome to the Berlin-Hohenschönhausen memorial!
People once suffered and died here because of political persecution. Today it is a place of remembrance, so please support us in protecting and conserving the historical site by observing certain rules.
We wish you an informative stay in the Berlin-Hohenschönhausen memorial.
Foundation of the Berlin-Hohenschönhausen memorial
§ 1 Opening hours and entrance fee
(1) The notices and public announcements apply.
(2) The memorial reserves the right to make special arrangements on certain occasions.
§ 2 Visiting the former prison
(1) Visiting the former remand prison is only possible via a guided tour.
(2) Doing a tour is only permitted with a valid ticket. It is to be shown on request.
(3) Please stay with the group and follow your tour guide. The staff is allowed to address any persons walking on their own and to ban them from the grounds if necessary.
(4) Minors under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
(5) For children under the age of 12 visiting the memorial is NOT recommended, as the place can be disturbing for them. Please make sure that your children behave in an appropriate way.
§ 3 How to behave on the premises
(1) To avoid noise we ask you not to play music and to switch your mobile phones to silent mode.
(2) Please put your litter in the designated bins only. They also have separate ash trays. Cigarette butts are to be disposed in the ash trays only.
(3) Oversize backpacks, bags, suitcases, umbrellas etc. are to be put in lockers. Please refer to the visitor desk if necessary. For security reasons, the lockers are opened in the evening by the security personnel. Any items contained therein are kept at the memorial or handed over to the authorities.
(4) Eating and drinking is only allowed in the cafeteria and the close-by inner courtyard. Eating is forbidden during the guided tours. Any alcoholic beverages are prohibited on the premises.
§ 4 How to handle the exhibits
(1) Please do not touch the exhibits during your tour or the show cases and desks in the permanent exhibition.
(2) It is strictly forbidden to scratch, smudge or damage the exhibits or the inventory.
(3) Please do not sit on the furniture (cell beds, chairs etc.), the show cases, or desks.
(4) We expressly point out that we will claim for damages and consider criminal prosecution if necessary. We also point out the prevailing legal provisions for damages caused by minors.
§ 5 Film and Photo
(1) Visitors are allowed to take pictures for private use. Please make sure the personal rights of the guides and other visitors are respected at any time. In case of doubt ask for permission beforehand.
(2) For commercial photos as well as for all film and audio recordings, permission must be granted by the director of the Berlin-Hohenschönhausen Memorial. The permission is to be applied for at the press office of the memorial.
(3) To avoid misunderstandings, please give your camera equipment to the visitor centre at the beginning of your visit.
§ 6 Actions that need a permission
(1) The below-mentioned actions are only allowed with explicit permission by the director of the Berlin-Hohenschönhausen memorial:
1. distribution of leaflets and other printed material
2. application of stickers, graffiti, banners, posters, or similar
3. interviewing visitors, tour guides, or staff
4. performances in any form
5. demonstrations, rallies etc.
(2) Permission is to be applied for at the press office of the memorial.
§ 7 Forbidden actions
(1) Smoking is strictly forbidden in all buildings.
(2) Racist or extremist slogans, comments or symbols are explicitly prohibited. These include symbols of communist dictatorships such as hammer and sickle or the red star.
(3) It is forbidden to sit on the stairs of the administration building as they are escape routes. The visitor service can provide you with a transportable seat.
(4) Please do not enter the lawn.
(5) The memorial is not a playground, so races, ball games and the like are forbidden.
(6) Bringing animals when visiting the memorial is not allowed. The only exception are companion dogs for people with corresponding health impairments.
(7) Driving on the premises with vehicles of any kind (cars, motorcycles, bicycles, scooters, skateboards, etc.) is not permitted without prior consent. Bicycles are to be parked outside the memorial. Wheelchair users in need of assistance, please contact the Visitor Service.
§ 8 Householder‘s rights
(1) The instructions of the memorial staff are to be obeyed.
(2) Visitors who violate these visitor rules may be banned from the premises.
(3) In case of suspicion of theft or vandalism, the memorial staff is entitled to control the suspect and establish his identity.
§ 9 Disclaimer
(1) The memorial is not liable for the loss of property.
(2) Liability for injuries to life, body, health, or property of visitors is excluded, unless intent or gross negligence on the part of the foundation.
§ 10 Suggestions and complaints
(1) We are always grateful for suggestions. Please contact the visitor service.